The University of Macau (UM) was founded in 1981. Its predecessor was the private University of East Asia. Through 37 years of development, UM has become the best university in Macao, with marked progress in teaching, research, and community service. The only public comprehensive university in Macao, UM has produced many outstanding graduates for society since its founding.
The UM community currently consists of nearly 10,000 students. It offers more than 130 bachelor’s, master’s, PhD and other programmes, through its Faculty of Arts and Humanities, Faculty of Business Administration, Faculty of Education, Faculty of Health Sciences, Faculty of Law, Faculty of Social Sciences, Faculty of Science and Technology, Institute of Chinese Medical Sciences, Institute of Applied Physics and Materials Engineering, Institute of Collaborative Innovation, and Honours College. English is the main medium of instruction at UM, with some programmes being taught in Chinese, Portuguese, or Japanese.
UM adopts a governance and management system in line with international standards and practices. It internationally recruits outstanding scholars to create a multilingual and multicultural learning environment for students. UM has a faculty team comprised of nearly 600 people, and many of them hold a PhD degree awarded by renowned universities. In recent years UM has stepped up efforts in recruiting senior-level faculty members in an attempt to continuously enhance its teaching and research.
UM vigorously supports scientific research. In recent years it has developed a blueprint for transforming into a research-focused university, which, combined with a clear, shared goal among faculty members to attain first-class achievements, has led to some very good academic results. According to the ISI Web of Science database, in 2017 UM published over 1,400 high-quality papers, compared to 127 in 2008. At the 61st International Solid-State Circuits Conference of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), which is considered the ‘Chip Olympics’, UM was ranked among the top ten universities that had presented the most papers at the conference. In some areas, such as Traditional Chinese Medicine, and the Internet of Things, UM already ranks among the top in the Greater China region in terms of papers published at major international conferences and in prestigious journals. With the support of the Macao SAR government and the Science and Technology Development Fund of the Macao SAR, UM in November 2010 received approval from the central government for establishing two state key laboratories, namely the State Key Laboratory of Analog and Mixed-Signal VLSI, and the State Key Laboratory for Quality Research in Chinese Medicine. The approval for the two state key labs shows recognition of the university’s outstanding achievements in the fields of integrated circuits and traditional Chinese medicine.
More and more UM scholars have gained recognition at national and international levels, earning prestigious titles such as fellow of the IEEE, corresponding member of the Portuguese Academy of Sciences, fellow of the ASM International, fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, fellow of the American Physical Society, fellow of the American Society of Civil Engineers, fellow of the American Educational Research Association, president of the IEEE’s Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Society, and fellow of the Hong Kong Academy of Engineering Sciences. The microelectronics research team received the Prize for Scientific and Technological Innovation 2010 from the Ho Leung Ho Lee Foundation, and the second-class State Scientific and Technological Progress Award.
UM constantly explores new research realms and strives to expedite the improvement of the overall quality of biomedical sciences and health sciences in Macao, in order to meet the needs of Macao and China. In addition, UM has launched Macaology, which it hopes to develop into an important, internationally recognised academic field to help enhance public understanding of the culture and society of Macao.
UM has a tradition of conferring honorary professorships and doctorates upon distinguished individuals. Recipients of UM’s honorary titles include George W Bush, former president of the United States; Prof Shing-Tung Yau, an esteemed mathematician and recipient of the Fields Medal, the world’s most prestigious prize in mathematics; Nobel laureates Prof Chen-Ning Franklin Yang, Prof James A Mirrlees, Prof Mo Yan, and Prof Robert C Merton; master of sinology Prof Jao Tsung-I; founder of the Fo Guang Shan Buddhist Order Master Hsing Yun; and the renowned novelist Jin Yong. Conferring honorary titles upon these distinguished individuals has strengthened the university’s ties with local and international communities and has also enhanced its international visibility.
To better support higher education development in Macao and to meet society’s need for high-quality professionals, UM in August 2014 relocated to a new campus on Hengqin island, Guangdong province. The new campus is under the jurisdiction of the Macao SAR. It covers approximately 1.09 square kilometres, is 20 times larger than the old campus, and can accommodate at least 15, 000 students. On the new campus UM implements a residential college (RC) system modelled upon the successful experience of top universities like Oxford, Cambridge, and Yale. Currently there are ten RCs on the new campus. Undergraduates of different majors and in different years of study are arranged to live in the same RCs, with ample opportunities to participate in various competitions and activities organised by the RCs. It is hoped that through such frequent peer interaction, students will improve their interpersonal skills, acquire self-discipline, learn self-management, and achieve well-rounded development.
KL of Quality Research in Chinese Medicine（University of Macau）
1. Unprecedented SKL： On Dec. 1, 2010, Ministry of Science and Technology of China announced the approval of the very first SKL in the area of Chinese medicine in greater China, SKL of Quality Research in Chinese Medicine (SKL-QRCM), aiming to solve the key theoretical problems and technical bottlenecks that have restricted the modernization, industrialization and internationalization of Chinese medicine - the quality and standard of Chinese medicine
2. Leading Platform: The SKL-QRCM has focused on tackling the key scientific issues of quality research in Chinese medicine, including the efficacy, safety, controllability, stability and systemic clinical evaluations, as well as the associated key group of technologies, developing and deploying cutting-edge infrastructure and equipment, and building five world-class research centers (Efficacy, Safety, Controllability, Stability, and Clinical Medicine).
3. Brilliant Team: through global recruitment, the SKL-QRCM has established an brilliant team comprised of several core senior scholars as well as several dozens of young and middle-aged scientists. Currently there are 33 academic staff (including 2 Chair Professors, 1 Distinguished Professor, 3 Full Professors, 17 Associate professors and 10 Assistant professors) and 18 technicians and Macau Fellows.
4. Outstanding Achievements: The SLK has published 1791 SCI papers (including 384 papers published in family journals of Science, Nature, Cell or journals with IF>5), and these research papers have been cited for more than 26,293 times (Web of Science, November 28, 2018). On average, each PI published 9.9 SCI papers in the year of 2017. In addition, we have published 13 books and book chapters in collaboration with several renowned publishing houses. More importantly, Clinical Medicine, and Pharmacology and Toxicology have been among the ESI Top 1% disciplines.
5. International Standards: In 2012, the SKL established a joint laboratory with the US Pharmacopoeia to complete the formulation of more than ten quality standards of Chinese medicine, and to conduct the quality evaluations of various Chinese medicines in the US market. In 2016, the SKL established a joint laboratory with the European Directorate for the Quality of Medicines (EDQM), and subsequently completed the quality standards for the traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) Mondo grass, and currently eight quality standards of Chinese medicines are being studied under this collaboration umbrella.
6. Science and Technology Awards: numerous prestigious awards have been received by our SKL staff, including the Second Prize of the 2016 National Science and Technology Progress Award, the Second Prize of Macao Science and Technology Awards (Natural Science category) in 2012, 2014 and 2016, and Macao Science and Technology Awards series in 2018: the Special Award, the Natural Science Award, the Technology Invention Award and the Science and Technology Progress Award (covering all the Macao Science and Technology Awards categories), the First Prize of Science and Technology Progress of China Association of Integrative Medicine in 2016, the First Prize of Science and Technology Progress of Guangdong Province in 2017, and the Second Prize of Natural Science Award by Ministry of Education in 2017.
7. Distinguished Education: we pioneered postgraduate training in biomedical sciences in Macao SAR, provided the first Chinese medicine curricula exclusively taught in English, including the “Application oriented MSc - Research based PhD - Jointly Trained Postdoctoral Fellows with our international partners” TCM and biomedical sciences talents training system. In 2010, Prof. YT Wang, the dean of our SKL, was awarded the Macau Medal of Merit - Education from the SAR Government.
So far, more than 500 outstanding PhD, MSc and Postdoctoral Fellows have graduated from the SKL, and currently there are 256 postgraduate students registered in our MSc and PhD programs. Graduate students have won the First Prize of the "Challenge Cup" National College Student Curricular Academic Science and Technology Works Competition for 4 times in a row, the China Youth Science and Technology Innovation Award, the National Innovation and Entrepreneurship Competition Gold Award, the Macao SAR Graduate Research Award, and numerous major International Conference Awards.
8. Academic Collaboration: The SLK has established long-term collaborative platforms with dozens of internationally renowned universities to jointly train high-end talents. For instance, the Joint Research Center for Drug Discovery and Development was established with Peking University, Taiwan University and University of Hong Kong, and a variety of joint laboratories were also established respectively with China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, University of Cambridge, Leiden University, National Institutes of Health, Harvard University, Yale University, University of Chicago, Northwestern University, and University of California.
In order to fully promote the development of TCM technology in Greater Bay Area, the "National Ministry of Education, Guangdong, Hong Kong and Macao TCM Joint Laboratory" and "National Bureau of Chinese Medicine - Guangdong, Hong Kong and Macao TCM Innovation Center" were jointed established with Guangzhou University of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Hong Kong Baptist University. The “Guangdong, Hong Kong and Macao University Alliance for Innovative New Drugs” was also jointly established with Sun Yat-sen University and several universities in Hong Kong.
9. Industry-University Innovation: to fully cooperate with Macao's economy diversification policy about prioritizing the development of Chinese medicine technology industry, we jointly established the “Peking University-University of Macau Innovation Research Institute for Chinese Medicine” in Hengqin, with the SKL of Natural and Biomimetic Drugs at Peking University and the Guangdong-Macau TCM Science and Technology Industrial Park. President Xi Jinping visited this Research Institute on November 22, 2018, and had a cordial conversation with our staff and students. In addition, we have established “China Pharma Innovation Community” with Taiji Group, a famous pharmaceutical group in China and abroad, and have also established numerous other collaborative innovation platforms with Shijiazhuang Pharma Group, Guangzhou Pharma Group and Xiangxue Group, respectively.
10. Science and Technology Highlights: relying on Macao's "one country, two systems" advantages, with the support of the Central Government of China and the Macao SAR government, the SKL-QRCM at the University of Macau has become the world's leading high-tech innovation center for Chinese medicine, a highlight of successful implementation of "One Country, Two Systems" in Macau, the Macao youth science camp and training base, and a hot spot for visitors from China and abroad. For instance, the SKL has received visits from foreign heads of state, presidents and vice-presidents of Central Government, Premier of the State Council, Chairman of the National People's Congress, ministers of the central governments as well as governors and mayors of various provinces and municipalities. The SKL has also received visits from famous scholars, provided technical training at home and abroad, and hosted visits of Macao youth and teachers from local primary and secondary schools.
President Xi Jinping inspected the innovation and scientific achievements of the SKL on December 20, 2014, and visited the Peking University-University of Macau Innovation Research Institute for Chinese Medicine on October 22, 2018. President Xi kindly encouraged us to “participate in the national innovation-driven development initiatives, make more significant contributions."
Website of SKL of Quality Research in Chinese Medicine（University of Macau）: https://sklqrcm.um.edu.mo/about-us-introduction/
State Key Laboratory of Analog and Mixed-Signal VLSI (AMSV)(University of Macau)
University of Macau (UM) successfully passed the rigorous evaluation of the Ministry of Science and Technology of the People's Republic of China and obtained the approval for establishing the State Key Laboratory of Analog and Mixed-Signal VLSI (AMSV). AMSV is financially supported by Macao Science and Development Fund (FDCT) and UM. The objectives of the State Key Laboratory of Analog and Mixed-Signal VLSI is to establish an excellent R&D platform in the area of advanced analog and mixed-signal integrated circuits and systems that should meet the State and international standards. AMSV focuses on cutting-edge research projects which are important in the development and advances of various electronics systems including Data conversion and signal processing, Wireless communication, Biomedical engineering and Integrated Power ICs.
President Xi Jinping listens to report of the research achievements of AMSV
The Research Lines in AMSV involve in the design and innovation of ICs progressively, send for chip prototype fabrication and measured with excellent results. In 2011 to 2017, AMSV published 163 international journal papers, 165 international conference papers, 7 books or book chapters, and 28 patents was granted.
Benchmark with top national academic institutions in terms of state-of-the-art chips in ISSCC (Chip Olympics)
From the statistics in publication number in the International Solid-State Circuits Conference (ISSCC, “Chip Olympic”) in 2011-19, AMSV has published 33 papers in this period, 6 papers in 2017, 7 papers in 2018, and will publish 8 papers in 2019. Considering for the first author, from the publication in 2017 and 2018, AMSV is ranked 1st by organization in China, Hong Kong and Macao, and ranked 3rd and 5th correspondingly in the World.
Group Photo of the Team from AMSV participating in the ISSCC 2018
AMSV constitutes with 1 Chair Professor, 1 Visiting Full Professor, 1 Full Professor, 5 Associate Professors, 7 Assistant Professors, 3 Lecturers (UM Macao Fellow), 1 visiting fellow, 9 Post-Doctoral Fellows, 15 Research Assistants, while including students of 43 Ph.Ds, 57 Masters, 15 B.Sc students. There are also 1 staff for commercialization and industrial cooperation, and 7 staff for administrative and technical support.
AMSV has nurtured 24 PhD graduates since the founding of the laboratory in microelectronics research. Many of them have been employed by leading companies and institutes in the field. Besides academic careers at UM as professors, associate professors, assistant professors and UM Macao Fellow, graduates of the AMS-VLSI Lab have been employed by leading companies and institutes in the field, such as Synopsys, Qualcomm, Silicon Labs, Marvell Technology Group, STMicroelectronics, Huawei, Solomon Systech, Mediatek, and the Chinese Academy of Sciences.
AMSV obtains also 50 international and national awards, in which it is the first awardee of the National Science and Technology Progress Award and the Ho Leung Ho Lee Foundation Award from Macao. The awards also include 8 nos. of Macau Scientific and Technology Invention Awards in 2012 and 2014, 2 nos. of Business Awards of Macau in 2013 and 2014, and 3 nos. of Honorary Title of Value from Macao SAR, IEEE SSCS Best Chapter Award and CASS Best Chapter Award, 1 ISSCC Far-East Best Paper Award, 2 ISSCC Silk-Road Awards, and 5 IEEE SSCS Pre-Doctoral Achievement Awards. There are 1 Academician of Portuguese Academy of Sciences (in Lisbon), 1 Overseas Expert of Chinese Academy of Sciences, 3 IEEE Fellows and 1 IET Fellow.
The technology transfer and the commercialization of academic results are an important part of society contribution from AMSV. In order to conduct this work, AMSV established a dedicated technology transfer office in February 2016. In this short period of time since the office was setup, AMSV has achieved remarkable results under its efforts: AMSV has collaborated with university research teams and industry companies in different commercialization projects, the partners involved in those projects including indicative companies and research institute from Greater Bay Area like Hisilicon (ShenZhen)、Allwinner (Zhuhai)、Anyka (Guangzhou)、Hong Kong Applied Science and Technology Research Institute and etc.
AMSV will continue its relentless pursuit of contribution on technology transfer and commercialization, moreover, more resource will be invested in technology transfer and setup mainland platforms to enhance the collaboration between AMSV and enterprises in Greater Bay Area will be our future plan.
The first awardee of the National Science and Technology Progress Award from Macao
First Macau Scientific and Technology Invention Award of AMSV
AMSV also invited national and international renowned scholars and experts to form a Academic Committee, and organized the Academic Committee Meeting to obtain precious suggestions from the Committee members to AMSV.
AMSV reinforces specialized analog and mixed-signal IC design technique, and fulfill international standard state-of-the-art and innovative research with system design, circuit optimization, measurement and system integration. We will continue expansion of human resources, development and team construction, including academic staffs, postdocs and researchers. We will also strengthen industrial and research cooperation with advanced technology, patents, industrialized equipment, international committee participation, productization of research, and also strengthen national standard IC development and participate National projects through cooperation or directly, in order to facilitate and increase international influence of analog and mixed-signal IC design in China.